Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Alumni news > Welcome back to ASB, Mr. Phil!

Welcome back to ASB, Mr. Phil!

Former fourth-grade teacher returns to campus after 42 years.

After 42 years, former fourth-grade teacher, Mr. Phil Turton, was warmly welcomed back to ASB. During his campus visit, Mr. Phil was able to connect with Ms. Johanna Cena (interim Elementary Principal), Mr. Bill Volchok (Assistant Director), and Ms. Marta Vernet (Head of Community Service and Activities). They recognized Ms. Marta's younger sister, Ariadna, on one of his class lists!

In the Spring of 1979, Mr. Phil joined The American School of Barcelona faculty to teach fourth grade, teaming with Ms. Cheryl Jones. 

"It was a dream come true to teach in Europe. I did not know much about Barcelona. I quickly learned to love the city and the culture. Every day was a new experience and a fantastic opportunity. I have always felt blessed for the role. I gave it my all to improve the lives of my students. They and ASB, in turn, improved mine!"

Phil enjoyed teaming with Ms. Cheryl to teach 4th grade and had a great experience. "At that time, the staff was a mix of Spanish and Americans that worked well together and supported each other. Ms. Cheryl taught reading for both classes, and I taught math. It was the first year math would be taught in English."

In the late 70s and early 80s, there were more local than international students at ASB. "They all got along well and succeeded. The parents were supportive, and the school functioned as it should have. Our facilities were very simple back then - a building of 8 classrooms, a cafeteria, and a kindergarten/administrative building. There was a lot of dust, very different from the beautiful campus you have today!"

Returning to the United States in 1980, Mr. Phil initially taught grades 2-3 in Bethlehem, PA, later teaching math in middle and high school, and then back to elementary. He completed his master's degree in education and administration and, after 25 years of teaching, accepted an elementary principalship in Allentown, where he served for 11 years at Muhlenberg Elementary. In 2012 he retired after 36 years of service.

"I wish the staff, students, parents, and alumni all the best to celebrate the 60th anniversary next year!"

Once a Lynx, Always a Lynx!

Good wishes from Mr. Phil back in Allentown with his ASB 60th anniversary banner!

Similar stories

How a 1966 Yearbook reconnected the School with one of it's earliest families. More...

First time back on campus in 17 years. More...

Class Representative at Bocconi and currently working on her own start-up company. More...

Most read

How a 1966 Yearbook reconnected the School with one of it's earliest families. More...

In recognition of more than two decades of service. More...

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech