Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Alumni news > Alumni Spotlight: Amina Dehbi '09

Alumni Spotlight: Amina Dehbi '09

New ASB parent whose son joined our PK3 community this year is one of six girls in her family to attend the American School of Barcelona.

Meet new ASB parent and alumna Amina Dehbi '09, whose son joined our PK3 community this year. Amina attended the American School of Barcelona from Grades 6 through 12. She was one of six girls in her family to attend the school - her sisters are:

• Khadidja (G3-7, graduated in Abu Dhabi)
  • Yasmin (K-G7, graduated in Dubai)
  • Sarah (Class of 2019)
  • Noor (currently in G9)
  • Soraya (currently in G5)

"The diversity and open-mindedness of the school attracted me to send my son here too. Education isn't only about what you learn but also about how you train your mind to learn, to be open, to ask questions, to be curious - those are the skills that set you up for success no matter the industry you end up in."

Originally from Algeria, Amina grew up with her sisters mainly in the United States and Spain. "I would say a mix between the three countries would be "home." Home is essentially where my family is."

Amina attended Utrecht University in The Netherlands and Imperial College London after graduation. She studied pre-medicine and then completed her master's in medical research. Today she's working in a field unrelated to her studies but is thriving in a dynamic and fast-paced environment.

"I work for a tech company called Autodesk which creates all sorts of software to help the innovators of the world design and make anything from Blockbuster movies to the world's tallest buildings and everything in between. I'm part of the large sales team in Barcelona, and my role is to understand our customers' business needs so we can advise and inspire them to achieve better (and more sustainable) outcomes."

When reflecting on her teachers at ASB, Amina shared, "I loved all my teachers, but I would say my history and journalism teacher, Mr. Maas, really inspired me. Although I was never a history fan, Mr. Maas taught us the powerful skill of expression through the pen, which really stuck with me. I still have times when I'm writing something and think back to my high school classes with him, what he said, and how I can apply it. 

Amina remembers the enjoyable times she had with her friends with many laughable moments, but she particularly remembers the opportunities she had to travel with the school. "We once had a trip to Muscat, Oman, to attend a water conference. It was an incredible experience." 

ASB in one word?
"Enlightening."

Once a Lynx, Always a Lynx!

Similar stories

Most read

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech