Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Alumni news > Alumni Spotlight: Clàudia Baulies

Alumni Spotlight: Clàudia Baulies

ASB alumna sharing her talents with current students. Welcome back to campus, Clàudia!
Clàudia Baulies '11
Clàudia Baulies '11

Alumna and musician Clàudia Baulies ‘11 attended the American School of Barcelona from grades 7 to 12, attending the Berklee College of Music after graduation. Today, she is a music composer, writing both filmscores and contemporary concert music and occasionally modern music. 

“I’m just releasing my first CD, which has been a massively long journey. Countless hours over several years have gone into this project, into which I’ve poured my heart and soul (and sweat and tears, too!). At the same time, I’m working on three new films, two short films and a feature film, for which I’m doing the sound design and the music composition. It’s quite an experience being in charge of the entire sound spectrum of a film: unifying sound design and music into a single language that works in sync with the image to create a piece of art greater than the sum of its parts.”

Clàudia started playing the violin when she was three, so music has always been a big part of her life. During her senior year at ASB, she realized she didn’t want her life to revolve around anything else. “I didn’t want music to be a “side thing.” So I decided to find my path in the music industry. I found a great mentor who introduced me to composition and soon realized it was what I wanted to do. I couldn’t and still can’t imagine myself doing anything else.”

Clàudia’s website
Clàudia’s Instagram
Clàudia’s Twitter

Besides her work as a composer, Clàudia is also teaching music part-time. “I’m teaching individual instrument lessons at a music school, and I’m currently a substitute teacher in the Performing Arts department at ASB. I’m also teaching after-school drama to elementary students at ASB. It’s slightly away from music but still within the arts.”

When asked about experiences and teachers at ASB that might have inspired her later in life, Clàudia responds, “Too many to count. Teachers at ASB are role models: independent thinkers, great individuals whose passion is to help you become your best self. So many teachers at ASB were greatly inspiring figures. To name a few, my English teachers, Ms. Mac, Ms. Hunt, and Ms. Lauscher taught me to dive to the deepest depths of what I was reading and brought my love for literature to a whole new level; World History teacher, Mr. Maas taught me to see the bigger picture, to question power; IB Math teacher Ms. Sosnowska taught me to think outside the box (waaay outside the box!); Mr. Bartlett’s IB physics class gave me a new perspective on how the universe works, sometimes strange, often mind-bending, yet always beautiful; Ms. Cole’s IB psych class gave me a new and deeper understanding on who we are as human beings; Ms. Bronwyn, of course, who always believed I’d end up becoming a musician way before the thought had even entered my mind and gave me her support every step of the way. I’ve left many great figures out, but I could go on and on.”

As a new student in 7th grade, Clàudia joined the MAIS choir and traveled with the group to Casa Blanca. “I have great memories from that trip!” She has many other good memories from her days at ASB but admits her favorite would probably be sharing the bus ride home with her best friend, Liria. “Still my best friend.”

ASB in one word?
“Open.”

Once a Lynx, Always a Lynx!

Contributed: October 2021

Similar stories

Most read

Alum Nikias Molina shares his path to success as a tech content creator with millions of views across his social platforms. More...

97 caps in the air marking this great occasion More...

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech