Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Alumni news > Alumnus Zachary Freer '23 gives back to ASB during summer break from Brown University

Alumnus Zachary Freer '23 gives back to ASB during summer break from Brown University

Alumnus Zachary Freer (‘23) has been back on campus at the American School of Barcelona since May, working as an assistant educator in our high school HL Economics classes with Mr. Santi and Mr. Huner. "Zach has been instrumental in explaining concepts and working with students on specific questions in small groups, as well as providing after-school support."

“It was wonderful being back at ASB and reconnecting with the teachers I had throughout my nine years at the school. It was a very different experience to be working alongside them, but I loved interacting with and supporting the economics students. It gave me so much respect for the teachers at ASB, and it was also great to help with a subject that I took as an IBDP student. I felt so well prepared for my first year at Brown University studying economics, math, and philosophy.”

Zach received much positive feedback from both students and teachers. The students especially appreciated receiving insights from someone who had recently taken the same class.

“I am grateful for the experience and everyone involved in helping make this opportunity happen. Spending time in the classroom made me extremely excited about continuing to explore teaching and coaching.”

Hailing from the United States, Zach attended ASB from Grades 4 to 12. His younger sister, Julia, is an incoming senior at the school. His mother, Lauren, is a high school English Literature teacher, and his father, Peter, has been an active community member, supporting various initiatives, including development at the school, for many years.

As a student, Zach was active in Model United Nations from eighth grade and later started a program with classmate Lis Van Meer to teach eighth graders to prepare for MUN conferences. It was fitting to have him present at our inaugural LynxMUN Opening Ceremony in May, share his experience, and inspire the next generation of MUN’ers. Watch his speech here!

Next on Zach’s summer agenda is traveling to Belgrade, Serbia, as a coach and judge at the World Schools Debating Championships (WSDC). He will be accompanying four ASB debate students (Ana Rodriguez, Ayaan Taddese, Luna Monje, and Quinten Meyer) and two other ASB alumni coaches, Jake Anderson (‘20) and Karolina Tudman (‘22), as part of Team Spain.

We feel privileged to have such talented alumni involved in the learning of our students. See more photos of Zach on campus in the photo gallery below - registration required.

Photo gallery

To view this News Article

Similar stories

Alumnus and his daughter Camila return to school community More...

From The Netherlands to Barcelona to Bali; hear about Luna's journey since ASB. More...

Twelve years later and off to explore the world! More...

Most read

Alum Nikias Molina shares his path to success as a tech content creator with millions of views across his social platforms. More...

Twelve years later and off to explore the world! More...

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech