Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Alumni news > Reconnecting with the Nelson Family

Reconnecting with the Nelson Family

How a 1966 Yearbook reconnected the School with one of it's earliest families.

We were delighted to receive an original copy of the 1965-66 Yearbook of the American School of Barcelona from former student Margot Nelson-Owen, who attended the school with her elder sister, Janice, from Grade 7, initially at our school's former location in Eusebio Guell and later at the American Institute on Via Augusta. 

"The school was small, with only 60 students, as I recall, and it felt like a family. My teachers supported me in pursuing my passion for gymnastics. I became the champion of Spain and received the Angel de Plata for gymnastics in 1970. I remember my student days with incredible affection."

Margot's mother, Ms. Frances Nelson, taught students in kindergarten to Grade 2 from 1960 until her retirement in 1985. She was loved by her pupils and respected by all who knew her, and many remained in contact for years after they had moved away. After leaving ASB, Ms. Nelson moved back to Canada with her husband. Sadly, her retirement was short-lived, succumbing to cancer shortly afterward. 

After leaving ASB, Margot moved to Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, to reconnect with her roots. She completed a B.Sc in Biology at Dalhousie University before moving to the United Kingdom to complete a medical degree at The University of Wales College of Medicine in Cardiff and an LLB in the legal aspects of medical practice. Having lived in the UK, Canada, Spain, Saudi Arabia, and France, Margot, now married with two daughters and five grandchildren and retired in the UK, has worked as a family doctor, forensic psychiatrist, and prison healthcare inspector.

Margot's sister Janice initially studied European languages at Barcelona University, but she later moved to Sheffield, England, where she studied nursing and became a state registered nurse (SRN) working in the Emergency Department. She then became an Orthopaedic sister before transitioning to district nursing. 

"Now that I have reconnected with ASB, I can confirm there is truth in the ASB alumni community saying, "Once a Lynx, Always a Lynx." Memories are always there; it just takes some people longer to act on them. Now that I have retired, I plan to visit ASB and attend reunions to rekindle old friendships.

We hope so, too, Margot! Once a Lynx, Always a Lynx!

Photo gallery

To view this News Article

Similar stories

Most read

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech