Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Alumni news > Alumni Spotlight: Laura Esteban '89

Alumni Spotlight: Laura Esteban '89

"Teaching internationally has been the best gift for my children."

Spanish alumna Laura Esteban '89 attended the American School of Barcelona in middle school (grades 6-8) together with her siblings, Ana and Jordi (aka George). Her nephew, Esteban, joined the school's 6th-grade community this year from Texas. "My sister wanted her son to have the same experience we had."

Laura furthered her studies in education at the Universitat de Barcelona for her undergraduate and at the University of Massachusetts in Boston for her MA. Today she is an international English language acquisition teacher in Singapore. 

"I was an ESL student when I first arrived at ASB aged 12, and I remember it was very challenging. I have lived and worked in 7 countries over the last 25 years. I always tell my students that I also did not speak English as a child."

Reflecting on her experience at ASB, Laura shares that "I would have teachers who came and went, and that intrigued me. I knew early on that I wanted to become an international school teacher. The teachers cared and went beyond academics. I especially cherish memories of Ms. Pilar Hernando, Mr. Maas, and Ms. Ana Prieto."

"My career is what I would describe as the best gift for my children: a global education while discovering the world together as a family." 

"Back in the 80s, my parents sent us to ASB because they were fortunate to be able to afford it and wanted us to learn English. What they did not know then is to what extent it would impact all of our futures. As a result of our time at ASB, my siblings and I continued to study abroad, live abroad, and marry foreigners. We are very grateful for the opportunity to attend a school within such an international setting, and the experience has profoundly impacted our lives' trajectory." 

Laura also recalls a fun memory when Pokin's, Barcelona's first hamburger fast food restaurant, invited her entire class to their soft opening. "I think they believed we were all Americans! It was such a special time."

ASB in one word?
"Life-changing."

Similar stories

Most read

Alum Nikias Molina shares his path to success as a tech content creator with millions of views across his social platforms. More...

Former students, parents, and faculty join graduation ceremony. More...

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech