Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Alumni news > Alumni Spotlight: Carlos Heredia Fontana '16

Alumni Spotlight: Carlos Heredia Fontana '16

"Being able to learn from so many people with diverse cultural backgrounds at ASB was such a privilege."

Spanish-born Carlos Heredia Fontana '16 attended the American School of Barcelona together with his brother, Pablo '19, his entire school life. With roots in the Dominican Republic on his grandfather's side, Carlos has been living there since 2021, where he is currently a professional football player at Cibao Football Club. Since 2018, he also represents the Dominican Republic in the men's soccer senior national team.

"My path has slightly differed from other students who graduated from ASB. When I graduated in 2016, I had several offers to study Sports Management from universities in the United Kingdom. Instead, I opted to continue to explore my professional sporting career while studying Business Management in Sports and Football from The Open University (online distance learning) since, due to my career, it was physically impossible to attend university in person."

Carlos's career started at MK Dons Football Club in the United Kingdom. He signed with the Wolverhampton Wanderers Football Club in his second and third years. When the pandemic hit mid-2020, he was living and quarantining in Poland, playing for a club called Miedz Legnica. 

"My path has taught me much about the sacrifices you must make to succeed in this industry."

When reflecting on his time at ASB, Carlos fondly remembers bumping into his younger brother Pablo around campus and having brief moments of fun together before heading back to class, something he appreciates even more now that he lives so far away. Other fun memories include ski week, Halloween activities, and sports tournaments. "Winning the AMAC/ESC football tournaments in Portugal, Italy, and Spain allowed me to experience my passion with my closest friends from school in such a positive and fun environment that was really unique to ASB."

When asked about his former teachers, he shares, "it was the teachers and staff at ASB that made it all possible; without them, the school wouldn't have the community it has. I particularly want to mention a few special teachers who really inspired me during my time at the school - Mr. Lopez, Mr. Mirza, Ms. Marta Vernet, and Coach Moussa Kone."

"I'm so grateful to my parents for choosing the American School of Barcelona for our education. Being able to learn from so many people with diverse cultural backgrounds was such a privilege. It definitely shaped the open-minded person I am today."

ASB in one word?
"Unique." 

Similar stories

Most read

Alum Nikias Molina shares his path to success as a tech content creator with millions of views across his social platforms. More...

Former students, parents, and faculty join graduation ceremony. More...

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech