Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Alumni news > Alumni Spotlight: Josep Domingo-Domenech '92

Alumni Spotlight: Josep Domingo-Domenech '92

Dedicating his career to finding innovative cancer treatments to help improve the lives of patients.

Dr. Josep Domingo-Domenech ‘92 attended The American School of Barcelona his entire school life, together with his two sisters, Eva and Cristina. The fourth generation of physicians in his family, Josep studied medicine at The University of Barcelona, completing his residency in Medical Oncology in Barcelona in 2007, where he initially worked as a Medical Oncologist. 

He moved to New York shortly after, where he was a post-doctoral fellow at Columbia University. Now Director of Urology Translational Research at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN, Josep currently leads a group of researchers on groundbreaking investigations for innovative cancer treatments. He has previously worked at the Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center in Philadelphia as Director of Prostate Cancer, where the group he led made important discoveries for the treatment of prostate cancer, and at Mount Sinai School of Medicine as an assistant professor.

“The harsh reality faced by many cancer patients motivated me to fully dedicate my career to finding innovative treatments to help improve patients’ lives.”

As a student at ASB, Josep was team captain for the school soccer team trained by Jorge Ruiz and Cheche Reig. The competitive team won three championships in the Barcelona school district, competing against big-school teams like Sant Ignasi. 

“At that time, FC Barcelona was an international sensation, affectionately known as the  “Dream Team.” We were fortunate to have some extraordinary players, like Marc van de Meer, Jorge Ruiz, Karim Cuberas, Edmond Vidal, Ignasi Esbri, Jorge Esteban - even Jordi Cruyff play some games with us. The camaraderie in the team was exceptional. The experience helped me understand the power of teamwork which I continued to implement during my professional career.”

Josep has great memories from his time at ASB. “My teachers - Ms. McNamee, Ms. Prieto, Mr. Mass, Mr. Sperry, Ms. Ruiz, just to name a few - transmitted their values of open-mindedness and commitment to resilience while inspiring me to search for “excellence” in both my professional and personal life.”

Married to his wife, Veronica Rodriguez-Bravo, a prominent scientist, they are busy raising three young daughters, five-year-old twins, Sarah and Andrea, and 1.5 year old, Aina. “It is incredible to see how fast they grow and develop their competencies!” Josep is also a passionate art lover who enjoys visiting art expositions and collecting art pieces in his spare time. 

ASB in one word?
“Genial.”

“ASB brings together a wide mix of cultures which enables students to experience and incorporate the value of these cultures as their own. This unique experience allows students to be open-minded and to develop the necessary flexibility to succeed in a globalized world.”

Once a Lynx, Always a Lynx!

Similar stories

Most read

Former students, parents, and faculty join graduation ceremony. More...

Alum Nikias Molina shares his path to success as a tech content creator with millions of views across his social platforms. More...

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech