Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Alumni news > Marta Escura Esteban '17 is now a 5th-year medical student at UAB

Marta Escura Esteban '17 is now a 5th-year medical student at UAB

"As a future physician, I think it is very interesting to participate in research and medical investigations."

ASB caught up with Marta Escura Esteban from the Class of 2017 who is now a 5th-year medical student at Universidad Autónoma de Barcelona (UAB) at Vall d’Hebron Hospital. After a challenging year of studies due to COVID, Marta is now eager to get back to learning and collaborating with her professors, many of who were on the frontline during the pandemic.

Marta shared her recent acceptance to the CASCADE (CArdiovaSCulAr outcomes after major abDominal surgEry) project of EuroSURG, a collaboration between surgeons, residents, and medical students in the field of investigation.

"As a future physician, I think it is very interesting to participate in research and medical investigations. A big part of the future of medicine lies in research, so being able to collaborate in projects like this as a student is a huge learning opportunity for me."  

In the data collection stage of the project, Marta currently visits with gynecological patients who have been through major abdominal surgery, following their progress and observing any complications of a cardiovascular nature.

"Through this experience, I also get the opportunity to work with the Head of Gynecology at Vall d'Hebron Hospital, for which I'm very grateful. I hope to gain a lot of experience."

Following graduation next year, Marta is considering her options for residency, either in the United States or in Spain. She is interested in specializing in Medical Oncology or Gynecology.

Marta's family comes from a long line of ASB'ers - her mother, two uncles, older sister, and cousins all attended ASB; her niece, Sofia, is currently in G4. 

"The school invited my mother, María José de Esteban Ferrer '76, to be the guest speaker at my high school graduation. As a former student herself and an ASB mom for so many years, it was a very special moment for both of us."

We wish you all the best, Marta! 

Once a Lynx, Always a Lynx!

Similar stories

Most read

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech