Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Alumni news > Former teacher Ms. Cindy Lisuk and alumna Georgina Malagarriga '98 back at ASB again

Former teacher Ms. Cindy Lisuk and alumna Georgina Malagarriga '98 back at ASB again

Lovely to reconnect and welcome them home after almost 20 years!

Recognize Ms. Cindy? If you were at ASB between 1990 to 2004, then you might have crossed paths. Ms. Cindy Lisuk was a high school math teacher for most of her tenure at the American School of Barcelona, apart from a 2-year stint teaching Grade 4.

"My time at ASB made such an impact on my life," she shared. "Barcelona still feels like home. I still talk about my years here as if it were yesterday." 

Ms. Cindy returns to Barcelona every two to three years but hasn't been to ASB for around 15 years. 

"For as much as it has grown since my last visit, the heart of the school feels the same: warm, welcoming, with a sense of belonging. You can leave, but that feeling is still present when you return."

Ms. Cindy visited campus with alumna Georgina Malagarriga '98, who attended the school for nine years, together with her brothers William '94, Charlie '98, and Albert '07. 

"It was a very special day for Ms. Lisuk and me; exciting but nostalgic, intense but gentle. Twenty-five years later, in the same hallway, with my teachers Mr. Smith, Mr.Bartlett, and Ms. Lisuk, along with Ms. Minú, Marta Vernet, and Ms. Febe. Of course, we didn't see everyone, but having Ms. Lisuk with me made a huge difference. I felt more connected to the school than during my previous visit and wished to be there still; I loved going to school. I wish I could have met all my former teachers - Ms. MacNamee, Ms. Rosa Ruiz, Ms. Margarita Vilà, and Ms. Lydna Johnson, whom I loved very much."

Today, Ms. Cindy resides in Ferndale, Michigan (USA), near Detroit, where she grew up. She retired from teaching in 2020 and has begun a new career with Henry Ford Health System as a medical coder.

She recalled how the Spanish and Catalan teachers endearingly called her 'Mari Cindy.' "That was something so special, the feeling of being adopted into this wonderful culture. I remembered that when I saw Ms. Marta Aguayo."

While living in Barcelona, Ms. Cindy was a member of the group of collectors of the famous caganer figurine, Associacio' Amics del Caganer, which acts to promote the significance of the caganer in the Catalan Christmas tradition. "I was a member of the junta and did some of the English translations for the group's website. I am still a member!"

Georgina is based in Barcelona and is a very active partner at Oxinity, an online community of language teachers. The community's concern is the future of education, with the primary goal of implementing innovative technology in the teaching process to provide better and more efficient learning experiences for language learners. Georgina helps other freelance teachers develop their professional careers within the community.

Watch an emotional reel from their visit on our Instagram account HERE!

Similar stories

Most read

Former students, parents, and faculty join graduation ceremony. More...

Alum Nikias Molina shares his path to success as a tech content creator with millions of views across his social platforms. More...

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech