Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Alumni news > Maddy Noh '18 is back home!

Maddy Noh '18 is back home!

"I'm so happy to have seen so many staff members here who impacted my life so positively."

Maddy Noh visited campus for the first time since she graduated in 2018. From the warm reception and interactions with her former teachers, it was evident that Maddy had made an impact during her five years at ASB.

Maddy recently completed her Bachelor's degree at Brown University, where she double-majored in anthropology and public health. For the past several years, she has been researching addiction, incarceration, and sexual health disparities in communities. She is also currently working on her Master of Public Health at Brown, which she will complete in May 2023.

"I loved speaking to Manuel every morning," shared Maddy, who was greeted warmly on arrival by ASB's long-standing guard.

During her visit, she was able to catch up with most of her former teachers, Ms. Gnagni (IB Math), Ms. Kurtz (IB Psychology), Ms. Davis (HS Counselor), Ms. Monds (IB Coordinator), Ms. Minu (HS Secretary), Mr. Ignasi (MS Technolgy), Ms. Ana (IB Art), Ms. Luisa (IB Spanish), Ms. Michelle DeZerne (IB English and Literature), Ms. Marta Vernet (Community Service), Mr. Smith (IB Chemistry), Mr. Whitehair (IB Chemistry), Ms. Bronwyn (Music), Ms. Long (Librarian), and Director Pingitore.

"Ms. Kurtz was one of the teachers who influenced me the most," Maddy shared, adding that her experience in high school, where she served as a medical interpreter in Peru, is one of the reasons she was motivated to enter public health.

Other teachers like Ms. Michelle commented that they still use Maddy's work as an example for current students. Mr. Gnagni impulsively asked her to join his IB HL Math class to share her experiences and answer questions for his talented eleventh graders. Maddy took the class time to share words of wisdom with the students, including study tips during the IB. She also shared personal anecdotes about her impressions as a student at Brown.

"Studying at Brown is challenging but very interesting. They allow us to be very independent with our studies. It can be intense, but there isn't a big emphasis on grades. I was fascinated with the study of anthropology, which I discovered in my first semester of college."

Maddy's brother, Andrew '17, currently lives in NYC and has just completed his first year of law at NYU. He completed his undergraduate at the University of Pennsylvania with a degree in PPE.

During the campus tour, Maddy was amazed at new facilities like the gymnasium and auditorium. Currently set up for IB exams, she also reminisced about when she took her IB exams.

"Seeing Ms. Luisa and Mr. Ignasi, who have known me since I was twelve, was amazing. I'm so happy to have seen so many staff members here who impacted my life positively."

Once a Lynx, Always a Lynx!

Similar stories

Welcome back to campus, VerĂ³nica, Ms. Ros, and Ms. Febe! More...

Former fourth-grade teacher returns to campus after 42 years. More...

First alumni reunion in Barcelona - a tradition we hope to continue worldwide! More...

Who remembers high school Spanish with Sra. Montse Perez? Lovely to welcome her back to campus today! More...

Successful inauguration of 'Wave Motion' exhibition in Barcelona! More...

Most read

From Ukraine to Barcelona to London. Read what Gleb is up to today! More...

These "Covid" year class alumni are today thriving and better than ever. More...

Alumni Stefanie Zaltzman (L) with former classmate, Ms. Marta Vernet

Elementary classmates reunite on current Esplugues campus. More...

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech